Dating Apps or Not??

Dating apps

Hello Guys,

This year is moving by so fast and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been off the blog for a little while because recently, I’ve been feeling some kind of way about so many things and I’m just not about any life atm. I would be back to normal soon enough though so please stay with me 😊

Special thanks to people that actually noticed my absence and checked in on me, you are amazing!!
So it’s 4:40am as I type this. Hunger actually woke me up somewhere around 2am and though that has been sorted out I’m still up. Chilling with my phone, I was tagged on a meme on IG by a friend of mine. It’s a picture of this hot guy that’s supposedly available on the “Bae App”.

Stay with me.  The Bae App is a new dating app made for black people. You know sort of like Tinder, at least it’s been compared to it. As my eyes won’t shut back to sleep, I went to google store to see how the app looks like and couldn’t find it (bummer) so I searched instead for dating apps hoping it would come up and boy are there a gazillion dating apps???

From Skout to Tinder, Baddo, OkCupid, Lovoo, Topface, Hinge, Kik, etc. I didn’t even know Hi5 was also considered a dating app but apparently…
Now my own is, do you consider joining dating apps ok or not? More for females now cause males can get away with almost anything but ladies??

There have been several times when a male friend of mine finds a mutual female friends profile on a dating app and comes to ask what she’s looking for there. On the lines of “why are you on so-and-so, you don fall my hand“, “Guys won’t take you as a serious girl oo “, “so your own matter don reach to join so-and-so “. It’s funny cause now I’m asking the guy he too why is he there and the explanation I always seem to get is “I’m a guy”. Cool.

So what is it about females joining dating apps?  Actual responsible females not people on there just to get it. I mean these apps were created for both males and females so why can’t we join in peace?  Why is it seen as us falling hand?

I have heard and read of stories of people, Nigerians included, who met via a dating app and are married today. So what exactly is the issue?

• Are these apps just full of scary freaks?
  • Is it because these apps are majorly used today for just hookups that’s why a responsible female shouldn’t be found there? (but there’s nothing wrong with Netflix and chill oo *side eye*)
  • Why exactly are females on there not taken seriously most often than not?
  • Is it our African mentality?  We are so accustomed to a female not putting herself out there when it comes to relationships, sex, etc so it’s seen as a shameful act if one goes against this. I mean you’re the flower that’s supposed to stay in the garden lol.
  • Why do we see it as an act of desperation? (But you know someone cannot come and be singuu to stupor naa.)
  • Are guys there actually looking to date or it’s all just quick fun? Married men there nko?

To be sincere, I don’t see myself joining any of these..at least not now. But I’m confused (not really)  because I have no logical explanation as to why I wouldn’t 😂😂. It’s more like ‘how will I go and join tinder? Tsk’ and when a good number of people have asked if I’m on tinder and the rest I feel so prideful saying ‘nope, pfft!’

I’m the same person defending my friends who are on these apps like ‘ehen Uncuu?  Why can’t she be there?  Abeg leave her alone!’ I can even convince you to join no jokes, but I won’t carry my own self and join.  Smh
Some other people have preferences on which one you should join if at all you want to and which ones you shouldn’t. One second though, why is everyone hating on tinder but y’alls asses still there?

Well, today that people are finding bae on Instagram and even snapchat what is now the difference? Are they not all functioning as the same thing? Is it not all sliding into the DM’s?  I’m sure nobody is ashamed about being on IG lol biko follow me.

So what are your opinions guys?  Would you join dating apps? Which ones are preferable?  Are you on any and what have your experiences been like? ?

Let me know in the comment box below! 😊

26 Comments

• Adenowo Oluwaseyi (NOWO: The BLOG) July 14, 2016 at 7:07 am

Honey, we totally understand, every blogger needs a break from time to time.

I feel everyone is entitled to their opinions about stuff like this. I wouldn’t join any dating app or platform because I’m not searching. Even if I was I still wouldn’t. I’m intrigued by meeting actual people. I can always look in to your eyes and read the real meaning of things you say. Although, I wouldn’t judge anyone joining. You know what works for you. And I think Instagram is the same thing. I’ve had some pretty amazing people sliding into my DM. I also don’t think it makes you look unserious. I mean, you know what you’re looking for.
    I’m talking too much, lol. That sums up what I feel, I think.

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 18, 2016 at 11:44 am

Haha but after the app comes the meeting in real life.. So it’s a means to an end I think. Either ways, no judging like you said and I’ve also had amazing people slide into my IG DM’s. IG for the win I think

• Funke Olotu July 14, 2016 at 8:02 am

I’ll say it’s the African mentality really,here it’s shameful for a woman to put herself out there.Well I don’t see myself joining any because I think most guys there are just fuckboys.
    Great post
    Xo.

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 18, 2016 at 11:45 am

The African mentality definitely plays a part and the majority of guys on there being fuckboys, tell me about it!

• KacheeTee July 14, 2016 at 9:55 am

Hahahahahah! I totally get what you mean. it’s like we tend to look at people on dating apps as being some kind of way. I have no experience, but I don’t think it’s totally terrible. Plus I’m sure a story will come out of just, so try it out and just be careful!

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 18, 2016 at 11:46 am

Hahaha.. We actually do. I don’t think it’s terrible too but I’m still not trying to have an experience just yet Lmao.

• Precious Nkeih July 14, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Hahahaha interesting post, Toyin!
    Honestly, I used to look at people that join dating apps “one kind” but after hearing some positive stories from there, I looked at it a little differently. In the world of today where tech is everyone, apps like that are conspicuously present. If I were single, I wouldn’t personally go on one though. I just think nothing beats physical interaction.

PreciousCore.com
    How I Met My Husband

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 18, 2016 at 11:47 am

Don’t we all look at them ‘one kind ‘ lol but really today’s world is all tech and stuff so why not?!

• Joy: imodelafrica.com July 15, 2016 at 7:46 am

I am not on any one but i think Dating apps are not so bad. Whats actually bad about it (I think) is the calibre of people there. Some people are there for real to find a partner or mingle with people but a greater percentage will sign up to being an Alakoba. In all, the females especially have to be careful. Most of these dating sites have also come up with measures to ensure safety.

Next time you wake up at night to eat, don’t forget to call a sister.

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 18, 2016 at 11:48 am

The calibre of people there oo my sister!! The Alakoba is real . Next time I will call you to eat don’t worry!!

• Berry Dakara July 15, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Oh please! Facebook too can be considered a dating app… kinda. My friend actually met his wife there. But then again, they’re divorced now so maybe NO to Facebook? LOL.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with dating apps, but they should be used with caution as there are a lot of wonky human beings there just looking for sex. Would I have used one? Doubt it.

Berry Dakara Blog

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 18, 2016 at 11:49 am

Lol the people on facebook are so weird though, most times. The main thing is to be careful! Thanks for stopping by

• CherishExpress August 21, 2016 at 6:35 am

Wow! I was like ‘yeah that’s what I’m talking about’ before I saw the ‘they’re divorced’ part.

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde August 22, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Lmaoo right

• sasha July 17, 2016 at 5:29 am

I don’t know how I feel about dating apps! It has it’s pros and cons. Thanks for sharing this informative post.

Happy Sunday!
    xoSE

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 18, 2016 at 11:50 am

Thank you so much for stopping by!!

• Rasheeda Nae July 18, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I’m not really a dating apps person. I don’t know why but i just have the idea that all the guys are creeps on there lol. Maybe I shouldn’t see it that way though. I’ve heard many success stories!

Love,

RASHEEDA |THE D’JOURNAE BLOG MAGAZINE

XOXO

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 20, 2016 at 7:17 am

hahaha..maybe you shouldn’t!! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

• Funmi Alabi July 28, 2016 at 12:15 pm

This is certainly an interesting subject I shy away from, mainly for the fact that I don’t see me doing such…yet. I very much prefer meeting people in person. I can always tell who one is within 5 minutes of interaction, at which point you either keep it going or walk away. However online, you’ll never know until you meet in person, which might be a while. Hmm…

Funmi x
    funmialabi.co.uk

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 31, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I totally agree with you!! Nobody likes their time wasted when it could be avoided. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

• Tessy July 30, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Hahaha funny post, for me dating app is a no no for me..I totally dislike them.

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde July 31, 2016 at 5:45 pm

hahaha..hope to see more of you on here 🙂

• MUNACHISO MUONEKE August 10, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Hahaha I understand where you’re coming from. I was on tinder for a couple of days and it was an interesting experience. I had to make a video about it on my youtube channel. I just think it’s all the same, all na social media (although I left after a few days) I don’t see anything wrong with it, main thing is just to be careful. xx
    It’s Munastic

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde August 11, 2016 at 5:33 am

Haha.. How did tinder go? Yes oo, all na social media!! Thanks for stopping by

• Lolade Stien August 12, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Hell no! Dating app kini? The ones we met face to face fucked up not to talk of hungry wolves on dating app.

• Toluwalade Toyin-Kehinde August 20, 2016 at 3:25 pm

hahaha..you never know, you never know